Sunday, October 23, 2011

Dana Lang, candidate Maple Ridge Council 2011

1. What modes of transportation do you normally use within your community and within Metro Vancouver?   
I normally drive to work but my husband and I will car share so sometimes I take the bus or West Coast express home.

2. How would you support and encourage cycling for transportation - for people of all ages and abilities - to promote healthy and livable communities?
I would support cycling for all ages by creating larger bike lanes and larger sidewalks.  the bike lanes are to small with to much debris in them and to close to cars.

3. There have been many surveys asking people what it would take to get them on a bike. The number one thing people want is separated cycling facilities. How would you support separated bike lanes on key routes? If you are not in support, please explain why.
I support cycling on key routes we need just larger bike lanes and more places to lock up your bike securely

4. Maple Ridge has no off-road (non-mountain-) biking/multi-use trails and is lagging behind other Lower Mainland communities in this respect. How do you feel off-road biking/multi-use trails can benefit Maple Ridge, and how do you suggest to start developing a network of trails.
Maple Ridge does haveThe woodlot  and trails in Golden Ears Park. The terrain of Maple Ridge is perfect for mountain biking.  We also have the dikes for family friendly rides.  I believe Maple Ridge Should do more for Mountain biking as it would bring in income to Maple Ridge as Eco-tourism.  Squamish and Whistler are doing it so should we.  We need systems and trail in place so that people would bike.  I think the main reasons people don't bike is safety, regarding dealing with cars, the weather and the terrain.  I think we can address 2 of these issues.  It will put more people on bikes and less cars on the road.
5. If elected, would you aim to increase or decrease cycling funding from current levels? Do you feel that cycling funding levels should merely reflect the present level of cycling in our communities, or should it reflect the potential of cycling - not only as a means of transportation and for recreation, but also in view of the many desirable benefits cycling has for individuals as well as for our communities/society, such as health benefits, improved livability, reduced greenhouse gasses/pollution, reduced oil-dependency, reduced need for expensive car infrastructure/parking lots, reduced congestion, etc.?
I think cycling  has lots of benefits for the community.  I would have to look at funding and find creative way to support cycling.  Maple Ridge pays high land taxes.  and I really believe in looking for ways to do more with less.
6. What is your level of interest in a public bike-share system integrated with the transit system? How do you think a public bike-share system in Vancouver can benefit Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows residents?
I don't know about the bike share program.  I would like to learn more if you could forward that info to me that would be great.
7. What role do you think the municipality has in supporting and promoting cycling education for children, cyclists and motorists?
Children should know how to cycle.  Just like they should know how to swim.  These are milestones in a child's life. I believe that parents should be involved with their child's education regarding biking. It would be great if there could be extra curricular classes and clubs lead by teachers or volunteers regarding safe biking.  My son's school has a mountain bike club and it has been a highlight of his high school years.  I would also love to see bike to school groups encourage by parents and volunteers, this would take more cars of the road and provide exercise for the students.  We need signs letting cars know that they need to share the road. and safe bike ways for children.

8. How do you feel e-bikes can play a role in our transportation system?
What do you see as the benefits of e-bikes as compared to cars?
What can e-bikes mean for less densely populated suburban communities like Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows?

Please let me know more about e bikes.

9. Would you be interested in joining members of the Vancouver Area Cycling Coalition on a bike ride through your community?

Wow a bike ride!  I don't think I'm in shape enough I would slow you down.  I definitely would love to come out and meet you.  Thanks again for sending me this email and I appreciate all you do to make this place, healthier, greener and  safer.

No comments:

Post a Comment