Thursday, February 16, 2012

What does bike helmet law really do?

The latest article by VACC Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows on helmets
Published: February 10, 2012


Having lived for a quarter of a century in the Netherlands – where nobody had ever told me I should wear a helmet when riding my bike – I have an opinion on this, and I’m quite happy to share it with you.
Like any Dutch kid in the ’60s and ’70s, I always just happily pedaled along helmetless, enjoying my freedom and independence, and totally oblivious to the dangers supposedly lurking around every turn in the road. Even now, with so much more traffic on the roads, most Dutch still ride their bikes without wearing helmets.  In fact, as long as you’re not a serious road cyclist going 40 km/h,  you’d look pretty silly wearing one. The Dutch obviously feel quite safe on a bike.
Read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment